Fermilab prairie cathedral, America's Stonehenge


Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory — known as “Fermilab” — located 40 miles west of Chicago in Batavia, IL, is the world’s largest superconducting accelerator and stands at the forefront of research in particle physics. The images on this page provide a glimpse of this magnificent “machine,” which, since its opening in 1974, has explored the sub-atomic world, linking the ideas of 5th Century Greek philosopher Democritus with the most intimate knowledge of the universe in today’s scientific arena. All photos of Fermilab were provided through the courtesy of Fermilab’s Visual Media Services. RC


Aerial view of Fermilab, home of the world’s highest energy superconducting accelerator, the Tevatron. The Main Injector and the Tevatron rings dominate the landscape on the 6,800-acre site in Batavia, IL. Wilson Hall is visible on the far left. (Image 00-912)


Wilson Hall at dusk. This 16-story building houses the administrative and scientific centers of Fermilab. Inspired by a cathedral in Beauvais, France, it “sweeps upward from the flat, flat land, somewhat like a Dürer drawing of hands in prayer” — as described by Leon Lederman. Completed in 1974, this building was conceived by founding Fermilab Director Robert Wilson. (Image 89-1308)


Engineers work on the Main Ring accelerator. This is an interior view of the Tevatron accelerator, which is made up of 1,000 superconducting magnets. (Image 95-341)

Cover of Leon Lederman’s The God Particle (1994).

 

Return to Caxtonian table of contents

Return to the Caxton Club home page